Our Location

Help for Residents

Wake County is working to ensure residents can continue accessing services during the COVID-19 response effort. In some cases, services have been expanded to help people get the assistance they need during this challenging time. 

If you need help, a good place to start is the Wake Network of Care. Public agencies, nonprofits and local businesses have come together to create a list of resources available to specifically meet the new demands created by COVID-19.


To apply for Medicaid, people have four options:

  1. Apply online at epass.nc.gov.
  2. Mail completed, signed applications to: Wake County Human Services, P.O. Box 46833, Raleigh, N.C. 27620.
  3. Fax completed, signed applications to 919-212-7028.
  4. Apply by calling 919-212-7000.

Medicaid questions can be emailed to [email protected].

Dental Clinic

While in-person dental appointments are currently not available, the Wake County Human Service Dental Clinic is making tele-dental visits possible for people up to 20 years of age. If you have a dental concern or pain, please call 919-250-4610 and leave a message. Someone will return your call within the next business day to coordinate a virtual dental visit.

Food and Nutrition Services

To apply for food and nutrition services, people may:

  1. Apply online at epass.nc.gov.
  2. Mail applications to: Wake County Human Services, P.O. Box 46833, Raleigh, N.C. 27620
  3. Fax completed, signed applications to 919-212-7028.

Questions related to Food and Nutrition Services can be emailed to [email protected].

If you need to speak to your case worker, call 919-212-7000.

Food for Schoolchildren

The Wake County Public School System, Wake County and its partners are working together to make sure that food is available to hungry students during these unprecedented times.


North Carolina has approved the distribution of additional resources to families receiving free or reduced-price lunch. The additional benefits will be through the P-EBT program to help families buy food during the COVID-19 school closure. Learn more on the NC Department of Health and Human Services website.


Wake County and community partners have launched House Wake! COVID-19 Eviction Prevention Program.

The three-step program offers:

  1. Financial assistance to tenants and landlords to cover rent shortfalls resulting from a loss of income through a partnership with Telamon Corporation;
  2. Free legal support through a partnership with Legal Aid of North Carolina for tenants who need a lawyer to negotiate filed evictions with landlords or other legal services; and
  3. Assistance relocating residents whose housing could not be stabilized through steps 1 or 2.

For more information about the program and to learn more about eligibility, call 919-899-9911 or email [email protected].

Wake Prevent! has temporarily changed the way it supports local families living in hotels. Families may be eligible for financial assistance to remain in place for up to 12 weeks if they currently live in a hotel, have experienced income loss due to COVID-19, and have children.

For more information about the program and to learn more about eligibility, families can call 919-856-5661 or email [email protected].

Energy Assistance

Seasonal energy assistance programs are available to help with heating related bills.

You can obtain an application for energy assistance by calling 919-212-7000 or visiting the energy assistance webpage.

Child Protective Services

The county will no longer accept walk-ins at any location. For questions about child welfare services, call 919-212-7000.

If you suspect child abuse or neglect, call the Wake County report line at 919-212-7990 (English) or 919-212-7963 (Spanish) between the hours of 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.

If a child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.

Childcare Subsidy

To apply for assistance with childcare costs, email [email protected].

Questions about childcare subsidy can be answered by calling 919-212-7000.

Work First Benefits

Work First family assistance assessments and application interviews will be conducted by phone. Please call 919-212-7846 for an interview.

NCWorks Career Centers

NCWorks Career Centers are still helping people prepare for and find work by providing career assessments and counseling and assisting in the preparation of resumes. For additional information, visit AccessNCWorks.com or call 919-715-0111. To apply for jobs, visit NCWorks.gov.

Public Transportation

GoTriangle is continuing to update its bus and shuttle services in response to COVID-19. Changes affect the routes run by GoRaleigh, GoCary and GoWake Access, as well as routes that run beyond Wake County. Riders may call 919-485-RIDE for information.

WIC (Women, Infants and Children) Supplemental Food Program

The WIC Program provides benefits for healthy foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support and breast pumps to eligible pregnant and postpartum women and children age 0-5.

To receive WIC benefits, people may:

  1. Apply for WIC online.
  2. Call 919-250-4720.

For questions, eligibility guidelines, or more information visit the Wake County WIC website or call 919-250-4720.

Masks and Face Coverings

Residents of the 27610 ZIP code can pick up free, protective face masks thanks to a collaboration between WakeMed, Wake County and the City of Raleigh. The program aims to distribute 30,000 masks to residents.

View a list of locations, dates and times here.

Limit 3 masks per person.

Other Changes to County Services

As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, the health and welfare of our community remains the county’s top objective. As a result, the county is pausing or curtailing some services. Click here for a full list of changes.

Utility Assistance

As temperatures drop, heating costs can rise.

While it may be easy to crank the thermostat up for some, others can’t afford the increased expense to keep their households warm. Wake County’s heating bill assistance programs can offer relief for residents behind on their bills and facing a utility cutoff.

The county has two annual heating assistance programs that focus solely on helping people keep their homes warm. The Crisis Intervention Program (CIP) and the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) both provide support to low-income families who are struggling to cover the costs associated with heating their homes.

Apply online at epass.nc.gov

For questions or to obtain a paper application, visit wakegov.com/staywarm or call 919-212-7000.