- On September 11, 2020
Pickup hours are also expanding
Books lovers can now take advantage of Wake County Public Libraries’ popular Books on the Go service seven days a week. The hours are also expanding to line up with WCPL’s regular hours of operation.
“We are thrilled with the success of the Books on the Go service, and we’re excited to offer additional opportunities for our customers,” said Ann Burlingame, deputy director of Wake County Public Libraries. “We know people are anxious to get back in their library, and we are gratified that this service will allow us to fulfill the library’s mission ‘to instill the love of reading and foster the pursuit of knowledge for the residents of Wake County.’”
Since the service launched on June 15, people have requested 491,149 items. Residents have made 110,004 appointments to pick up their materials, which averages out to 1,930 appointments per day. And checkouts have totaled 352,901, with an average of 6,191 per day.
Books on the Go is available:
- Sunday, 1-5 p.m.
- Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
The following libraries are participating:
- Cameron Village Regional Library
- Cary Regional Library
- East Regional Library
- Eva Perry Regional Library
- Fuquay-Varina Community Library
- Green Road Community Library
- Holly Springs Community Library
- Leesville Community Library
- Middle Creek Community Library
- North Regional Library
- Northeast Regional Library
- Richard B. Harrison Community Library
- Southeast Regional Library
- Wake Forest Community Library
- West Regional Library
How does Books on the Go work?
- Place books on reserve using WCPL’s online catalog. You can request up to 30 items at a time. In addition to books and audio books, you can also request Lucky Day titles, Book Discussion titles and Book Club Kits.
- You will receive an email notification that your item(s) have arrived. Click the link in your email to schedule an appointment time to pick up your materials. You may receive multiple emails about requests being available, but you only need to schedule one appointment.
- Staff will check out your requested items and place them in a bag on a table in the lobby or at the front of the library. When you arrive, look for the Books on the Go bag with your name on it. These items are already checked out to you.
The Books on the Go service is the next step in moving toward reopening the libraries in the safest way possible for staff and customers. WCPL thanks the community for their patience—and for supporting books, reading and their public library.
Updates to library services will be posted at bit.ly/WCPLPrep and communicated via social media.
About WCPL Remote Resources
While the libraries are closed, Wake County Public Libraries offers an array of library resources you can access from home. Register online for a library card, download the WCPL app and then browse a robust collection of audiobooks, e-books, video-on-demand and more. New virtual storytimes are being added every week. These features are available here.